Skip to main content

Sourcing consumer and carer representatives in mental health

Mental Health Australia (MHA) may be able to help training providers find consumer and carer representatives in mental health. The MHA website provides representative profiles for current register members according to their home state/territory.

Training providers are asked to provide information explaining what the representative role is, what’s expected of the representative and remuneration details. You can find more information the MHA website.

If you have questions, call the National Register secretariat on 02 6285 3100 or email MHA to discuss the process of identifying and engaging a suitable representative.